Kitchen Remodeling Design Trends for 2016
It’s a new year, and with that comes a slew of new trends. Normandy Remodeling, a design build firm based in Hinsdale, has entrusted their team of award-winning designers to predict where kitchen are heading in the year 2016. As a whole, these trends are based upon what designers are seeing as well as the current demand from Chicagoland homeowners.
Based on their mutual findings, here are eight common themes that you can expect to notice in this year’s batch of kitchen remodeling projects:
• Simplified Styles are simply the best – This is the year we keep our kitchens clean and uncomplicated. A few things you can expect to see are simple profiles and flat slab doors. Designs will also take care not to introduce too many materials or colors.
• Painted cabinets are still going strong – Similar to last year, cabinets with a rich, painted finish will continue to be the frontrunner. Clean, smooth wood cabinets are the prime choice for a painted finish, which is in line with the above trend of keeping it simple.
• Cooler tones are considered cool – Cooler hues are the color of choice this year. Known for being calm and soothing, they are associated with water, sky and cooler temperatures. Examples on this color spectrum include gray, blue and white. You can expect to see these colors incorporated in a variety of ways, including cabinets, backsplashes or accent colors.
• Backsplashes are making a splash – Backsplashes will continue to be sleek and beautiful, but with narrow grout lines. You can expect to see glass tile backsplash as well as backsplashes that are a continuation of your countertop material.
• Warm metals are on the rise – Step aside silver tones, warmer gold finishes are on their way in. After years of brushed nickel, chrome and polished nickel being the most popular finishes for fixtures, warmer golden tones are making a huge comeback.
• Smart storage solutions are a go – Design concepts continue to improve, leading to a plethora of custom cabinet inserts, dividers, organizers and pull-out trays. These add a new level of convenience and efficiency to your space, whether storing plates, utensils or spices.
• Steam ovens are the ‘hot’ new appliance -Convection steam ovens are taking hold. This new appliance uses steam to defrost, bake, slow cook and reheat food items. Benefits include helping your food retain more of its essential vitamins and nutrients. However, this new novelty item isn’t going to take up serious real estate in your kitchen or change the look and feel. Instead, it will replace or appear alongside the microwave.
• TV isn’t just for the living room – It seems like televisions might be considered a standard ‘kitchen appliance’ in 2016. Whether it is to follow along with your favorite cooking shows or catch the news while making breakfast, TVs are becoming commonplace in the kitchen. With so many options for customization, designers can seamlessly add in a niche, shelf or set of pocket doors that incorporate this media component seamlessly into the design.
You may have noticed that many of this year’s trends aren’t especially “trendy,” and have the potential to be longstanding shifts that will have a lot of staying power for years to come. Set up an appointment with a Normandy Designer to discuss current trends you can incorporate in your kitchen remodel. You can also register to attend one of our free seminars “Secrets of the Ideal Kitchen” to learn more about what to consider during the kitchen renovation process. For the latest design news, updates and inspiration you can also follow Normandy Remodeling on Facebook and Instagram.
About Normandy Remodeling
For over 37 years, Normandy Remodeling has provided award-winning kitchens, baths, renovations and additions to the Chicagoland area. As a design/build remodeling firm, Normandy Remodeling plans, designs and executes the renovation, creating a single point of contact for clients. Normandy Remodeling was built on high ethical standards, exceptional quality and customer service. This has led to recognition by industry leaders, including being named Remodeler of the Year by Professional Remodeler Magazine and a 2016 recipient of the Chicagoland Better Business Bureau Torch Award for Marketplace Ethics. Headquartered in Hinsdale, Illinois, Normandy Remodeling eases the selection process for existing clients with an 8,000 square foot showroom. For more information, visit www.NormandyRemodeling.com.